What is a no fault divorce?

A no fault divorce is a divorce where there is no allegation of marital misconduct. It is based upon the fact that the marriage is “irretrievably broken.”

Must my spouse consent to the divorce?

If the parties are separated for less than 2 years, the consent of the other spouse is required. However, if the parties are separated for more than 2 years, the law presumes the marriage is irretrievably broken and no consent is required.

What is equitable distribution

Equitable distribution is the process of dividing marital assets/liabilities.

Is a court appearance necessary?

In non contested matters no court appearance necessary. If the matter is contested it is resolved by the Divorce Master. This proceeding is a series of conferences ending in a settlement or hearing.

What other claims can be made?

A complaint in divorce may include a claim for custody, support, alimony, contribution to counsel fees and expenses.

Does a spouse have a right to alimony?

Alimony is discretionary. There is no right to alimony.

Will I receive or have to pay child support?

A parent has an obligation to support his/her children. Support is paid to the custodial parent.

Will I have to pay spousal support?

Spousal support may be contested based upon the misconduct of the requesting spouse.

How do they calculate child/spousal support?

Support is based upon the net incomes of the parties. Net income is the gross income less taxes, mandatory deduction for union dues, etc.

What if a party is not working

Support is based upon a 6 month average of wages. If a party has no actual earnings an earning capacity may be assessed based upon past employment history, education, etc.

What are the legal fees?

It is not possible to determine a fee in advance because there is no way to determine the time necessary to conclude the matter. All fees are discussed and reduced to writing prior to establishing the attorney-client relationship.

What effect does equitable distribution have on the divorce?

Although the court may make an award of equitable distribution prior to the entry of a decree in divorce, as a practical matter this is an extraordinary remedy and it is generally not granted. In contested cases of equitable distribution there is no decree in divorce until those claims are resolved.

If you have any questions, contact us regarding your divorce.